Location: Anchorage, AK
Title: General Engineer
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: 0-25%
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
North Wind Site Services is focused on providing engineering, program management, environmental remediation services including investigation and characterization, environmental restoration, unexploded ordnance/military munitions response (MMRP), regulatory public involvement services, environmental compliance, logistics, and records and facility management.
North Wind Site Services is currently seeking Engineers to provide direct support to the Air Force at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) in Anchorage, AK. Primary duties include the engineering support, design support and analysis, plus planning, programming, and budgeting of Military Construction (MILCON) and infrastructure projects for the 611th CES remote sites throughout Alaska, Hawaii, and Wake Island.
- Monitors/oversees construction projects for new construction, renovations, and improvements to real property facilities from start to finish including performance of preconstruction site surveys all the way to completion of as-built drawings.
- Prepares/reviews of designs for a variety of real property facilities construction projects, determining design criteria, putting together cost estimates and time schedules, preparing architect and engineer (A&E) statements of work, etc. specializing in mechanical infrastructure.
- Performs a wide range of engineering and construction duties surrounding O&M functions to encompass the maintenance, repair, upgrade, and operation of a variety of infrastructure facilities and utilities. Assists in evaluating construction bids.
- Plans, programs and budgets for Air Force MILCON and infrastructure projects in support of the Pacific Region Support Center (PRSC) and 611th CES. Prepares DD1391 packages including specifications, cost estimates, site planning documents, and supporting technical documentation.
- Develops and/or reviews specifications and schedules for assigned portions of the project, and assists in negotiating for utility services and infrastructure for the construction period. Inspects and/or oversees inspection of construction for compliance and recommends resolution of differences with contractors.
- Performs cost estimating and preparation of statements of work (SOW), performance work statements (PWS), and technical narratives in support of 611th CES construction projects.
- Performing analyses, calculations, modeling and simulation of civil/structural/geotechnical, mechanical, and electrical systems/components/materials,
- Providing support to various projects requiring design and analysis of concrete/asphalt, soils, and other engineering applications,
- Providing support in the development of design requirements, alternatives analysis, equipment selection/sizing, constructability, drawings, etc.,
- Performing or overseeing surveying operations to establish reference points, grades, elevations and volumes to guide construction/remediation projects and design,
- Using design software to plan, design and/or bid transportation, hydraulic systems, civil project, and/or structures,
- Participates in design meetings, design charettes, constructability reviews, and value engineering in support of DOD MILCON, construction, and infrastructure projects.
- Managing the repair, maintenance, and replacement of DOD and government infrastructure,
- Analyzing survey reports, maps, and other data to plan projects,
- Evaluating architectural, structural, civil, and mechanical plans for design, feasibility, safety and adherence to building codes and other municipal and government regulations,
- Some travel is required to Alaska and Wake Island sites to perform facility condition assessments of their facilities and infrastructure. Teams will assess mechanical, structural, and electrical components of facilities and document conditions and systems needing repair and upgrade.
- Works with Builder 3.3.9 database, which is an enterprise system the Air Force and DOD utilizes to document and roll up condition assessment data for each facility. Builder data is used in the planning, programming and budgeting process.
- Prepares high level and detailed cost estimates using a variety of tools including RS Means and Parametric Cost Estimating System (PACES) software.
- Prepares/reviews change orders prior to contract modification.
- Ensures federal, state, and local codes concerning health, safety, and the environment are strictly adhered to in the programming, design, and construction of real property facilities.
- Uses computers/computer software such as information management and project tracking programs to solve engineering/architectural problems.
- Uses Facility Engineering and construction management computer software such as Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) programs and PACES to ensure project design submittals and proposals meet programmed project design parameters.
- Keeps current on relevant software applications and seeks new applications to facilitate work.
General Engineer/Construction Manager:
- Accredited four (4) year degree in Engineering, including civl, structural, mechanical, and electrical disciplines would be acceptable
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as verbal and written communication skils
- Three (3) plus years of experience in engineering or construction management
- Department of Defense (DOD) and/or Air Force experience is preferred.
- Driver’s license
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of time
- Clean record to pass a DOD National Agency Check (NACI) background check to obtain any required security passes, network access, and clean driving record
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.