Location: Niskayuna, NY
Title: Waste Operations Manager
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As Needed
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
North Wind Site Services is focused on providing engineering, program management, environmental remediation services including investigation and characterization, environmental restoration, unexploded ordnance/military munitions response (MMRP), regulatory public involvement services, environmental compliance, logistics, and records and facility management.
This position is responsible for providing environmental and regulatory support for North Wind Site Services. The successful candidate must provide technical leadership, subject matter expertise, and broad-based multidisciplinary technical support to project and proposal teams. Oversees and directs all phases of a waste management project. Designs and implements project plans. Communicates directly with contractors/designers concerning project cost, staffing, and scheduling. Prepares project status reports and works to ensure plans adhere to contract specifications. This individual will conduct both internal and client-facing meetings related to project work, training/mentoring junior staff, and providing creative problem-solving leadership.
- A four-year degree in a scientific or technical field plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in waste management, commercial waste certifications and ship/manage hazardous materials.
- An additional 5 years of relevant waste management experience can be substituted for a degree provided the experience can be demonstrated in management of RCRA hazardous and radioactive waste management (min of 10 years of experience).
- Knowledge and understanding of DOE, Federal, state, and local legislation, regulatory frameworks, and policy, and experience applying it to achieve practical outcomes
- Prior environmental restoration experience with DOD, DOE, Air Force, EPA, Navy, USACE, or related agency work preferred.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with severe abstract and concrete variables.
- Specialized training in PHMSA, FMCSA, RCRA, NESHAP, and TSCA regulations such as RCRA McCoy Training, Lion Technology On-Line Courses, DOT TSI Courses, etc.
- Advanced Mixed Waste Shipper Training such as HMTC Mixed Waste Shipper Training or Regulatory Resources Advanced Mixed Waste Packaging and Transportation Course
- Strong PC-based computing experience (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility to work extended hours and days to meet project demands.
- Strong technical writing skills which are customary to remediation projects, safety, industrial hygiene, incident/accident reporting, assessments, and position papers.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Superior organizational skills.
- PMP preferred but not required.
- Ability to take initiative, to maintain confidentiality, to meet deadlines, and to work in a team environment essential.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple detail-oriented tasks.
- Experienced in environmental impact assessment and approval processes
- Expertise in waste minimization strategies such as reuse, recycling, and waste elimination
- Experience with Stakeholder interfaces and communication with regulatory and public entities
- Demonstrated experience working in multidisciplinary project teams
- Experience in the successful management and delivery of environmental projects, with time and project management skills
- Ability to evaluate analytical data for radioactive and hazardous constituents.
- Knowledge and working experience with DOE Order 435.1
- Working experience with radiological waste TSDF profiling and waste acceptance criteria including the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS)
- Must pass pre-employment background check.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening.
- Applicants are required to have REAL ID ACT compliant documentation at time of hire and nothing on record that would prohibit gaining access to Department of Energy sites.
- The position requires subject matter expertise (SME) related to site remediation, remedial design, selection of remedial technology, and project management expertise.
- Technical leadership for hazardous waste remediation under CERCLA and RCRA programs throughout the project life cycle with focus on remediation, remedy implementation, and beyond.
- Ability to understand and lead Risk Management efforts associated with remediation strategies including development of contingent activities and Contingency Plans.
- Writing scopes of work and developing cost estimates and schedules associated with remediation projects for Opportunities.
- Oversight of remedial action activities and environmental projects including on-site roles such as environmental auditing, site inspections, and management assessments.
- Provide guidance and oversight in characterization strategies including DQOs, statistical data manipulations, data quality assessment, and documentation of key decisions made.
- Integrate with the day-to-day waste management operations of multiple projects throughout the company to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Development of waste profiles and characterization strategies to meet waste acceptance criteria (WAC) compliance for various disposal facilities throughout the US.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.