Location: Huntsville, AL
Title: Project Controls Engineer II
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As Needed
Clearance: Ability to Obtain Required
For over 25 years, North Wind Group (North Wind) and its subsidiary companies have been influencing the future of, and aiming to be the nationwide small business leader in, the engineering, environmental, construction, IT/cyber, facility operations, and professional service industries. North Wind allows its employees to develop creative and practical solutions to complex problems, while accomplishing its mission of delivering quality results safely, on time, and on budget, for every project. Our mission is accomplished through forward-thinking, advanced technology services, and our cultivation of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
North Wind recognizes our biggest asset is our employees. Our success is a direct result of the hard work, skills, expertise, and unique perspectives and talents that each of our employees bring to North Wind. We are looking for exceptionally talented, motivated, and dynamic individuals to join the North Wind team – not only to support our mission but be an integral part of our continued success.
The Project Controls Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Build cost and schedule performance baselines to include well defined; scope, assumptions, deliverables, Work Breakdown Structure, and integrated critical path schedule that is resource loaded.
- Develops schedule activities base on scope of work.
- Assists the project manager with determining activity sequencing and durations. Assists with identifying milestones to support project schedule and develop a total project plan.
- Establish Earned Value Management System (EVMS) performance standards, controls, and reporting based on the defined project planning strategy.
- Performs schedule monitoring, including identifying critical activities and updating functions for specific applications, disciplines or specialty. Assists in the development of requirements for updating and schedule monitoring and their implementation. I.E. building metrics to ensure accurate status is taken on project schedules.
- Prepares schedule, staffing, and quantity progress and performance reports for assigned projects.
- Manage assigned projects and maintain cost and schedule data, projections, reports, and other activities during project performance.
- Support PMs in managing procurement actions (accruals, invoicing, and costing).
- Perform forward-looking analysis on the project. Develop accurate Estimate at Completion for detailed project completion costs and performing monthly project fee analyses using several techniques including a bottoms estimate, CPI estimate, and straight-line estimate.
- Prepares project projections for corporate crystal ball report that is used for forecasting the company’s revenue, profit, and backlog for projects.
- Seek continuous improvement and enhancements of current project management methodologies.
- Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing and providing innovative solutions to cost engineering /planning and scheduling problems. Provides non-routine cost engineering/planning and scheduling guidance to projects. Identification of cost trends for management attention; ensuring work is completed as scheduled.
- Manage, track and review change orders. Ensure these change orders are analyzed and factored in the EAC / fee profit analysis.
- Estimate and/or price extra work items, change orders, credit, etc.
- Formulate effective communications and reporting requirements (as defined by the PM, Corporate policy, and customer requirements) that define the current status of a project in relation to the project performance baseline, reasons for deviation, and assisting with implementing corrective action plans.
- Determine the schedule of values (SOV) for projects and interface with accounting on client invoicing. This may include maintaining other documents necessary for billing (i.e. SDEF files, PROC and ENG Forms). Responsible for reviewing invoices for correct billing revenue.
- Assists with a 360 Analysis on projects after completion.
- Support estimating in development of WBS and schedule.
- Assists with gathering and compiling data for estimates. Ensure all working documents and data are maintained to back up estimate figures.
- Interface with standard company business systems (Primavera P6 scheduling, Deltek Costpoint cost accounting system, Deltek Cobra, NWG Dashboard, etc.).
- Periodic travel in the U.S. to projects and client sites to confirm project conditions.
- Work as an integral part of a team to review business opportunities, conduct risk evaluations and bid/no-bid decisions.
- Must be familiar with Project Controls EVMS processes and project management software's such as Primavera P6, COBRA and Deltek Cost Point.
- Experienced in Cost Estimating, including developing detailed cost estimates.
- Familiar with different contract types, FFP, FUR, CPFF & T&M.
- Experience with Heavy civil, Commercial, DOD, DOE, CORR of Eng, Environmental Remediation, and Demolition preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; work effectively and cooperatively with all levels of management, staff, and client.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively present information and respond effectively and sensitively to questions from client, managers, staff and the general public.
- High degree of sensitivity regarding confidential client and employee information.
- Ability to advocate and enforce Company policies, procedures and employee programs.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, and make decisions, exercise good judgment, work under pressure, work with minimal supervision and prioritize workload.
- Experience and skills with computer applications, including MS Office Suit.
- Knowledge of Controller Financial Information System (CFIS) standard reports.
- Ability to obtain security clearance.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.