North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Machine Tool Services Group in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate has multiple openings for Machine Repairers in the Electrician Discipline. Under general supervision, the successful candidates will be responsible for installing, testing, repairing, maintaining, or modifying basic or complex electronic or electrical systems on machine tools and related equipment in support of LLNL programs. The successful candidates will be responsible for troubleshooting and repair, preventative and reactive maintenance of electrical components of machine shop equipment. These positions require close interactions with technical and supervisory personnel throughout the Laboratory. The selected candidates may receive work assignments located at various locations, including Livermore and at Site 300. These positions will report to the Machine Tool Services Group Supervisor or Lead.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Design, fabricate, install, maintain, or modify electrical systems to improve the operation, reliability, and/or safety of LLNL’s machine tools.
- Lay out and install electrical devices, power distribution equipment, and wiring systems in accordance with national, local, and LLNL safety codes and practices.
- Use hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrician trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, Voltmeters, Insulation testers, line analyzers, logic analyzers.
- Use machine tool manuals, technical documents, and internal and vendor resources to diagnose machine tools malfunctions.
- Conduct machining operations needed to repair machinery and mechanical components; disassemble, inspect, and repair components
- Perform routine preventative maintenance to ensure that machine tools continue to run smoothly.
- Maintain accurate legible records of maintenance work as required.
- Maintains cleanliness of the work area and ensures proper handling of tools, equipment, and stock to prevent loss.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- High School diploma or GED, or equivalent, and completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent Journey level work experience in the electrician trade; with a valid State of California General Electrician License.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical diagrams, schematics, panel schedules and drawings.
- Experience using hand and powered tools that are typically used in the electrical trade including basic diagnostic equipment such as multi-test meters, oscilloscopes, recorders, line analyzers, logic analyzers, as well as diagnostic software on PC and CNC based platforms.
- Experience with maintenance and reliability standards and concepts such as root cause analysis, reliability centered maintenance, continuous improvement, NFPA 70B and ANSI/NETA testing specifications.
- Knowledge of applicable electrical codes (such as the National Electrical Code NFPA-70, NFPA 70E, and the Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery NFPA-79), OSHA, and ES&H regulations.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication and skills; Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license with the ability to operate common motor vehicles including a 6000 lb. fork truck.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA & ES&H regulations.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- AA degree in Electrical Technology and or related degree.
- Solve complex to highly complex technical problems and make decisions of high consequence.
- Utilize advanced electrical skills.
- Understand and calculate Fault current and Arc flash.
- Lead responsibilities for small groups of technical employees on projects involving multiple electrical workers or other crafts
- Familiarity with LLNL manufacturing facilities and ES&H policies
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.