THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR YEAR
Flexible part time, on-call schedule
Applicants with previous security clearance are highly encouraged to apply
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customer’s mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
Under general supervision, the successful candidate(s) will provide escort services, carrying out instructions to ensure that security violations and hazards are readily discovered and reported to the appropriate authority. Intervene directly only in situations that require minimal action to safeguard property or persons. Assignments may be at Livermore or Site 300 and may require overtime and holiday work. Interactions are with Laboratory and non-Laboratory personnel to furnish and/or obtain information on general matters. The successful candidate(s) will report to Security Escort Operations Supervisor.
This position may require the Guard Security Escort have the flexibility to be available multiple days Monday-Friday to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Escort and observe persons/property to protect against thefts, irregularities, and unauthorized entry.
- Write detailed reports describing emergencies, damage, theft, and security and safety violations.
- Report security concerns, hazards, and emergency incidents.
- Maintain knowledge of, and comply with, all applicable DOE and LLNL safety and security procedures.
- Maintain radio and/or telephone contact with Security Escort office, communications consoles and post officers.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to successfully complete a basic training course designed to provide the minimum level of skills and knowledge to competently perform tasks associated with Security Escort duties and responsibilities.
- Familiarity with personal computer skills and basic software applications, such as Microsoft Word.
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and maintenance of a telephone at residence.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing with clarity and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit patience, tact, and courtesy in dealing with people, and to interact positively with diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work under extreme outdoor weather conditions (e.g., hot/cold, wet/dry)
- Demonstrated ability to engage in activities such as prolonged standing, sitting, bending, twisting torso, reaching overhead, pushing, pulling and lifting, and carrying up to 20 pounds
- Demonstrated ability to use both hands, arms, legs, and feet and to wear protective equipment such as safety glasses, head gear, and hearing protection
- Ability to discriminate speech and high- pitched sounds.
- Ability to distinguish among colors.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and successfully carry out instructions.
- The successful candidate may be subject to a supplemental background check conducted by the Security Organization. In addition, if the successful applicant holds a valid L/Q clearance that has not been reinvestigated in the previous 5 years, he/she will be subject to an update of the clearance by DOE.
- Employees assigned to work at the Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Laboratory sites and areas.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical evaluation may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicants selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.