THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR YEAR
North Wind Services is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customer’s mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Strategic Deterrence Directorate has an opening in the Design Physics Division for an experienced Physicist to perform radiation-magneto-hydrodynamic modeling of magnetized capsule implosions. The successful candidate will have limited supervision to analyze hydrodynamic instability as well as aid in modeling NIF experiments with the dual CBI diagnostic. The successful candidate will work with physicists, programmers, technicians, and developers. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Analyze hydrodynamic instability and mix in NIF implosions with and without an imposed magnetic field.
- Update and process results for Hydra.
- Build an understanding of the key physics to determine if the modeling code accurately reflects it.
- Develop ideas for experiments to tests findings and results.
- Aid in modeling NIF experiments with the dual CBI diagnostic.
- Find NIF experimental designs which demonstrate a clear, measurable difference.
- Ability to establish a robust modeling capability with Hydra for magnetized capsule implosions.
- Perform all other job duties as assigned.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ph.D. in Physics or related field or equivalent of work experience in physics.
- Knowledge of making connections to experiments and the implosion performance.
- Experience in hydrodynamic mix modeling and experimental design.
- Experience with adept code use and design.
- Deep understanding of LLNS processes, workflows and NIF experiments.
- Expert level experience running Hydra.
- Strong experience with Hydra, Python, and Yorick.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: P (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.