Location: Aiken, SC
Title: Quality Control Manager IV
Schedule (FT/PT): Regular Full Time
Travel Required: No
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
North Wind Construction Services provides heavy civil construction services with special expertise in mine reclamation, repository construction and operation, landfill closures, and stream restoration. Operations began in northern Idaho, but have expanded to new regions including Las Vegas, Seattle, and Oak Ridge. The Construction Services team is known for the successful completion of projects in challenging conditions that are often in remote locations throughout the U.S. North Wind Construction Services is a certified 8(a) and small disadvantaged business.
The Field Quality Engineer (FQE) will serve on a DOE EM construction project located in Aiken, South Carolina in North Wind’s Southeast Region. The FQE will be responsible for managing and performing the requirements of the quality management plan and daily quality management control (QC) responsibilities to ensure the project is constructed in accordance with the established standards and specifications. The FQE role includes direct oversight and review of the entire documentation and physical inspection phase of the workflow process and coordination with personnel, subcontractors, suppliers, and clients to provide and document a quality product.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads planning, development, and implementation of the Quality Control Plan and system for all work divisions from notice to proceed through final customer acceptance.
- Establishes and leads quality control initiatives, activities, and corrective actions.
- Reviews project specifications for project quality requirements and ensures work performed on site complies with contract requirements.
- Reviews drawings and submittals for conformance with project specifications by direct review and by leveraging the knowledge and experience of others in the project team when necessary. Coordinates the approval of material submittals and track the status of approval to completion.
- Conducts weekly QC meetings with the superintendent and provides daily QC reports as described in project contract documents.
- Manages Non-Conformance Notices and the Request for Information process though corrective action.
- Manages and resolves issues in conjunction with the project superintendent and the project manager.
- Records daily quality control observations on all construction activities in daily inspection logs and takes photos of progress.
- Creates, updates and maintains project submittal logs and all other project specific quality control reports.
- Conducts preparatory, initial and follow up meetings to establish an understanding of the standards of Construction desired for each definable feature of work. Verifies and documents that all materials received for the project are in conformance with approved submittals, and contract specifications. Verifies all onsite materials are handled and stored properly for use on the project.
- Conducts preconstruction meetings with the superintendent and all subcontractors prior to the start of each new phase of work.
- Documents and maintains project specific test and inspection logs. Ensures testing facilities, laboratories, and equipment conform to specification requirements. Verifies testing procedures meet requirements, calibrations are current, and reviews/verifies test reports meet contract requirements.
- Conducts follow up inspections to verify all work is being performed in accordance with the contract documents and the approved project submittals.
- Coordinates and documents tests required by the project specifications.
- Reviews all data collected on the project and works with the Data Manager to ensure accuracy and storage of data.
- Records and distributes Contractor punch list items, Government punch list items, and verifies their completion prior to Final inspection.
- Documents final inspections, certificates of occupancy and acceptance of completed work.
- Maintains the project “as-built” drawings on a daily basis.
- Assembles and submits project closeout documents that include O&M manuals, “as-builts” and warranties.
- Stops work, if necessary, to resolve matters that affect safety or quality.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Construction Management or other relevant subject matter
- 10 years of pertinent construction experience.
- Additional years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess a working knowledge of computer systems such as Adobe Pro (PDF), Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- High level proficiency of written and verbal communication required. Must be well organized and be able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Must have a good understanding of applicable construction laws for local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
- Understanding of DOE quality requirements.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check and drug screening.
- Fluent in English.
- PE License
- Prior Experience on DOE/USACE/AFCEC/NAVFAC Construction Projects
- OSHA 30
- Construction Quality Manager Certification
- Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. The position will include prolonged periods of sitting in order to perform administrative duties.
- Additional physical requirements include, but are not limited to, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, walking, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions.
- The position will require work to be performed indoors and outdoors. The employee will be exposed to various weather conditions. Other hazards include, but are not limited to working near heavy equipment, noise hazards, chemicals, road traffic, etc.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.