Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Title: Project Controls Engineer V
Schedule (FT/PT): FT
Travel Required: As needed
Clearance: Ability to Obtain
For over 20 years, North Wind Group (North Wind) and its subsidiary companies have been influencing the future of, and aiming to be the nationwide small business leader in, the engineering, environmental, construction, IT/cyber, technical, and administrative service industries. North Wind allows its employees to develop creative and practical solutions to complex problems, while accomplishing its mission of delivering quality results safely, on time, and on budget, for every project. Our mission is accomplished through forward-thinking, advanced technology services, and our cultivation of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
North Wind recognizes our biggest asset is our employees. Our success is a direct result of the hard work, skills, expertise, and unique perspectives and talents that each of our employees bring to North Wind. We are looking for exceptionally talented, motivated, and dynamic individuals to join the North Wind team – not only to support our mission but be an integral part of our continued success.
Support and assist the project manager by tracking project schedule and costs and provide a forward-looking analysis. Assist Project Manager and the project team in effectively and proactively managing projects to ensure project success. Develop, maintain, monitor, and execute complex project performance baseline. Develop, maintain, monitor, and update (as needed) project and task order budgets. Perform a broad spectrum of cost estimating functions that include developing proposal Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), schedule, cost estimates, Basis of Estimate (BOE), and cost modeling. Prepare project’s estimate to complete while performing cost analysis to determine health of the project. Identify impacts and assist with development of recovery plan activities, as needed. Assist project managers with development of project, charge numbers schedule of values, and resource allocation for project execution. Responsible for adhering to standard Project Controls functions in compliance with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS) performance standards, controls, and reporting and North Wind’s policy and procedures. Identify impacts and assist with development of project changes, variances, requests for equitable adjustment, contract change requests and orders, and recovery plan activities. Support progress tracking and reporting, project organizational and administrative activities. Ability and be part of a healthy, empowering organization, managing, and executing complex projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to projects with client requirements and corporate responsibilities and deliverables.
- Build cost and schedule performance baseline based on Earned Value Management System (EVMS) performance standards, controls, and reporting to include well defined scope, assumptions, and deliverables milestones and contractual specifications Includes an integrated critical path schedule
- Read project specs and contractual requirements to develop initial project execution schedule, then review with project manager.
- Determine initial schedule activities and then work with the project manager on finalizing activities along with sequencing and durations.
- Develop RFPs for subcontractors and recruiting potential subcontractors for project teaming.
- Develop and prepare project and task order cost estimates.
- Gather details and compile data to estimate all production costs according to specifications.
- Ensure all working documents and data are maintained to back up estimate figures.
- Assist Contracting department during preparation of inquiries and final evaluation of submitted bids as required.
- Help determine necessary resources for projects based on cost estimates and budgetary constraints.
- Estimate and/or price extra work items, change orders, credit, etc.
- Responsible for resource loading schedules based on standard resource dictionary, producing a time phased budget.
- Assists in the development of requirements for monthly schedule updates, I.E., building metrics to ensure accurate status is taken on project schedules.
- Monitor schedule weekly, updating with status, identifying critical activities, producing 3-week, 30-day, 60- day look ahead schedules.
- Produce Time phased Report to determine project revenue and profit projections used in for forecasting the company’s revenue, profit, and backlog for projects and review with project managers for final approval.
- Support PMs in managing procurement actions 16. Gather information for accruals, determine accrual amount based on statuses schedule and amount invoiced, review with project manager before submitting.
- Review earned value metrics and perform forward-looking analysis to verify fee projections and identification of cost trends for management attention.
- Assist with Estimate at Completion updates for detailed project completion costs and performing monthly project fee analyses.
- Determine reason for schedule, cost, and funding variance based on project controls threshold and prepare variance statements for review with project managers.
- Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing and providing innovative solutions to cost engineering /planning and scheduling problems.
- Provides non-routine cost engineering/planning and scheduling guidance to projects.
- Track and review change orders. Ensure these change orders are analyzed and factored in the EAC / fee profit analysis.
- Ensure regional cost performance reports are updated accurately for reporting to Company presidents, Regionals, and Corporate.
- Monitor and review project risk registers for compliance in accordance to RevReq guidelines 24.
- Seek continuous improvement and enhancements of current project controls methodologies and work as an integral part of a team.
- Knowledge and understanding of Project Controls EVMS processes.
- Knowledge and experience on project management software's such as Primavera P6, COBRA and Deltek Cost Point.
- Experience with Department of Energy (DOE) projects.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of different contract types, FFP, FUR, CPFF & T&M. 5. Experience in performing, monitoring and reviewing planning and scheduling/cost engineering functions which include schedule development, schedule control, schedule analysis, cost estimating, cost control and cost analysis.
- Knowledge in Cost Estimating, including developing detailed cost estimates and BOEs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; work effectively and cooperatively with all levels of management, staff, and client.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively present information and respond effectively and sensitively to questions.
- High degree of sensitivity regarding confidential client and employee information.
- Ability to advocate and enforce Company policies, procedures, and employee programs.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, and make decisions, exercise good judgment, work under pressure, work with minimal supervision and prioritize workload.
- Experience and skills with computer applications, including MS Office Suit.
- Knowledge and deep understanding of financial report systems, controller account codes and understanding of Controller Instructions which impact Project Controls (including Project Financial Status Reports and Earned Revenue Determination Data).
- Bachelor's Degree (BA/BS) in Finance, Engineering, Construction, Business, or related field.
- 15-18 years of related experience
- 5+ years acting as Senior Project Lead
- Strong DOE Experience
- Earned Value Management Experience and certification criteria
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline +1.208.528.8718 or use the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form to get assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion, or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Proof of citizenship will be required as a condition of employment.
Candidates may be required to obtain and hold a Secret or Higher US Government Clearance.